Tuesday 8 January 2013

Little Steps

I mentioned I have some goals this year, and one is to save quite a bit of money.  This is either for a trip to Europe, or if that doesn't happen, I'll be doing some other interesting stuff with what I save.  So it's quite exciting to have paid off my credit card completely, so soon after Christmas!  Now my money goes to savings or things I have planned for.

Of course, the minute I pay off my credit card, bills usually turn up.  This time I have a plan in place.  For example, I've been looking at curtain samples for the bedroom, and took them back today.  The one I like is a ready made but there were only a couple left.  I couldn't afford them straight out and didn't want to whip out the credit card (what, already!?) and I didn't want to risk missing out on them (they're perfect!) ... so I put them on layby.  Now I can put my money aside weekly in affordable amounts and pay them off, rather than spending money I don't have.

I read a few financial websites, and one, Monevator.com wrote a really good article about debt, that it's borrowing from your future self.  Here's the link.  Of all the get-rid-of-debt articles I have read, this one sunk in.

I do use a budget, and I don't want to bore you all with details, but one of my goals this year is definitely to pay for things with my money, not borrowed money.  I'll keep you updated on how that goes, as working in retail I do struggle with temptation!

Meantime, I'm going to have a happy, debt-free* sleep tonight!




*Mortgage aside ... working on that one ;-)







No comments:

Post a Comment