Wednesday 23 January 2013

It's A Cat's Life

So Gareth Morgan wants to eradicate cats from New Zealand.  Hmmm. I don't know quite what to say to that.  We've always had cats, from when I was young.  Cats, dogs, mice, budgies, guinea pigs and rabbits number amongst the menagerie I grew up around.  I couldn't imagine life without a cat.  I couldn't wait to get a cat after I bought my own place and ... look, fate, it had a cat door already installed!

My Tatie IS a hunter... although she's getting lazy as she gets older.  Also I've moved across town and there aren't quite as many trees in the neighbourhood.  Being terrified of birds, she caused me a few moments of terror bringing live birds into the house.  But she also kept the mice that lived under the house under control.  According to Morgan's website, a cat will kill something like 13 birds in any given year.  If that was the case I would be in an early grave from terror - as I'm not much better with a dead bird than with a live bird!  I have had Tatie 7 years this March and I can count in all that time four she brought in alive and the one dead one.  So she's really an under-achiever in this regard.

I wouldn't live without a cat.  I have considered getting a dog, but it's not as practical for me.  Tatie is family. However I like to think I'm a responsible cat owner.  She is de-sexed and won't be breeding.      As she gets older she's definitely more an inside cat, so is becoming even less of a threat to the native birds (of which we have none in our suburban city neighbourhood anyway).

What she is though, is company.  If I'm feeling unwell, she'll jump up and lie beside me and keep me company, she'll sit on my knee and watch tv with me.  We've been through earthquake terrors together - she doesn't even seem to freak anymore.  When an aftershock happens we look at each other to gauge the intensity and then she gives me a look, I give her a shrug and we go back to what we were doing.  Tatie also thinks she's human.  She thinks anything I cook is food for her.  Perhaps that's why she's not big on the birds - she prefers tomato chili pasta and cookies & cream ice-cream!  If I'm talking on the phone she'll wander through and sit in front of me, or on me, as if to say "whooya talkin' to Willis?"  My life, she believes, revolves around her.  Let's face it, that's how it is with cats.

Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth... and I love her to bits.  Sorry Gareth, but Tatie's not going anywhere just yet, and when she does, I will get another four legged companion.. or two.







No comments:

Post a Comment