Sunday 27 January 2013

Green and Self-Sufficient

Kaffir lime - great for Thai cooking
No! I'm not going to turn this into a gardening blog!  Nor am I turning into Barbara Good.  I'll never have chickens for a start (I'm ornithophobic!)... or pigs.  But I do like trying my hand at growing veges, and they always taste so much better grown fresh.

Particularly in summer when things just grow!  I always grow a courgette - one plant does me, and already I'm picking prolifically - about 3 a day.   My tomatoes look good (although only one red one so far) and for the first time I'm growing corn, with some success.
CORN!

So after doing the groceries this morning and realising I have tomatoes and courgettes,  and capsicums already, what else do I need?  I went off to purchase some plants to stretch out the summer garden.

A box of seedlings ready to plant up
So here's the box for this evening's planting (it's too hot at the moment).  Spinach, Basil, Coriander, and a mix of lettuce.  Lettuce is one thing I struggle with as it tends to bolt on me.  

Courgette cultivator
If anyone has any great courgette recipes please let me know.  I do have a Courgette Chocolate cake which I will be giving a go, but I am getting to that point where you can't have any more fritters (I do love them with my rocket, pepper, walnut and feta salad though).





No comments:

Post a Comment