Sunday 3 March 2013

Chutney Time!

Final product - 3.5 jars (I've hidden the half empty one!)
I'm a novice when it comes to preserving, having only done one lot of chutney last year (with slightly disastrous results when I burnt the bottom of the pot!)  But with the amount of tomatoes my one plant has suddenly started to give me it was time to get out the recipe book again.

I used Aunt Daisy's recipe (today I just did a half recipe as I don't really own preserving jars... you can see I'm recycling from the photo!) and the resulting tomato chutney has a caramelised onion type of taste to it, so it makes it perfect to have as a pizza base for gourmet pizzas.  In fact, this is pretty much the reason I have made it.  Although I can confirm it does also taste good with brie and crackers!

Anyway I wasn't organised taking photos of the process today ... it was a bit messy in my little kitchen. One day, when EQC have been and I finally get my new kitchen, I'll be happy to take photos of my works in progress.  Today, however, it's just the final result.

Bring on the home-made pizza next week - I see spinach, feta, capsicum, cashews and either chorizo or pepperoni making an appearance!


No comments:

Post a Comment