Sunday 10 February 2013

Dulce de Leche Decadence

Mmm the house smells of caramel.

I know I'm on a healthy eating kick (and it's been a "good" weekend of veges and fruit etc), but I couldn't resist giving this recipe a go.... I blame my friend Tracey.  She made her's from scratch, whereas I've cheated a little, but instead of boiling the condensed milk can, I've followed David Lebovitz's recipe and baked it in a dish in a water bath ... with added salt flakes.  Safer, and too easy to make... and the willpower will get a work out resisting this!

Main ingredient.... add some sea salt flakes

Bake in a bain-marie for about 1-1.25 hrs

Whisk when cooled
Taste test - whisk

FINAL PRODUCT -MMMMM!

The photos are a little misleading, it's a lovely golden brown colour, but it was evening and the flash went on the camera.

Interestingly it wasn't salty, so I might have to play with the amount of salt I put in for a true salted-caramel, but then Dulce de Leche isn't a salted caramel sauce, it's just caramel decadence!    Now... where's the ice-cream?

If anyone has an opinion on how much salt to add, salted caramel is my newest favourite flavour (particularly macaroons and salted caramel chocolates!)





No comments:

Post a Comment